Expedition Tour Packrafting Polar Circle (Laponia)
As one of our most challenging undertakings we offer a 8-day guided expedition tour through the Laponia in northern Scandinavia. The idea was born after the successful 600 km long packrafting expedition of Jannis and Peter, followed by a three your planning phase and was first carried out in summer 2018.
We are accepting requests for participation. If you are interested, please fill out the form below.
Follow us into the wilderness of Sweden, through the world heritage site of Laponia. This packrafting expedition guides us through the national parks of Padjelanta, Sarek and Stora Sjöfallets, through a pathless and lonely wilderness.
As a challenging and demanding tour, this expedition is almost completely off track in the mountainous tundra of northern Sweden. It requires, that you carry all equipment (including food for 8 days) on your own.
Partly you have to climb long distant ascents with heavy gear.
- About one third of the route will be on the water, the rest we will hike off track, on a total distance of 130 km.
- Difficult terrain, mountains, marshlands, lake crossings and wild rivers.
- Day stages between 10 km and 30 km.
- Limited to 6 participants.
- For preparation you will receive packing lists, weather information and competent and personal advice through our guides.
Read the expedition story about the first tour in 2018 in our Blog: "Frozen lakes: Expedition tour Packrafting Laponia 2018"
Next tour date: We are currently collecting interested parties for a next expedition in 2024 and ask for contact if interested in participating.
The minimum requirement for each participant on this expedition to Laponia is a 2-day preparation tour out of, for example the following trainings
Multiday Packrafting trainings Hunsrück (2-4 days)
Whitewater packrafting trainings Tyrol (3 days)
Whitewater packrafting trainings Slovenia (3-5 days)
Packrafting expedition training Norway (7 days)
Depending on experience and knowledge, the expedition team can customize these requirements individually.
Jannis and Peter wrote about their expedition:
...surrounded by mountains, the Miellädno is winding itself through a plain, littered with huge rocks. An untouched place, obviously unknown by hikers
Time of the year: June/July
Arrival and departure: Luleå, Sweden (flight), then transfer
Schedule of the expedition (the tour can to be customized on-site, depending on various conditions):
- Day 1: Climbing from Kvikkjokk over the Vállevárre (10km, +550elev.), mountain camp
- Day 2: Hiking to the Ruonas (15km, +500/-400elev.), mountain camp
- Day 3: Hiking and lake crossing in the Sarek (15km, +400/-250elev.),), mountain camp
- Day 4: Hiking to the Alep and on the river to Álggajávrre (20km, +100Hm/-550 elev.), lake camp
- Day 5: On the river Miellädno to Máhttoajve (15km, -50elev., whitewater), river camp
- Day 6: On the river Laddejahka and trekking to Vuojatädno (15km, +100/-150elev., whitewater), river camp
- Day 7: On the river Vuojatädno (15km, -30elev., wihte water), Heli transfer to Saltoluokta hut
- Day 8: Expedition-Time-Buffer
At the end of the tour there will be a final evening in Saltuluoktoa with sauna and delicious buffet.